Thursday, February 5, 2015

I only look like I have money. My Thrift Shopping Guide For Life.

The clothing industry is not something I am prepared to dive into this evening so I will sum it up in a nutshell.....  The majority of clothing stores sell items made of cheap materials in sweatshops for outrageous prices. Why are clothes and shoes so expensive? Profit. 
So what happens if you can't afford mall prices? You're left with Walmart. I do not shop at Walmart. I don't have three hours to describe just how intensely I loathe Walmart but I can say I have no intention of ever stepping in a Walmart again. 
I like nice things. However, I cannot afford the things I like most so I had to learn to get thrifty. I may one of the thriftiest people alive. Nearly everything I own is secondhand. The entire outfit I am wearing right now is second hand and it's gorgeous. If a stranger were to come to my home and see my family they would assume they we have money when in fact we have far less than most. This is my thrift shopping guide for life. 

1. Plato's Closet - Plato's is my favorite clothing store on the planet. They have a wide array of clothing befitting teens and young adults. They have a wide range of sizes and styles. They only accept trendy items that are still in season. All items are checked for stains and signs of wear and must appear new, sometimes one slips through the cracks but it's rare. They have shoes, accessories, purses, athletic wear, hats, and a lot more. Prices are nearly unbeatable. Shirts range from $3-10 while jeans are typically $14-20.  Nearly all of my wardrobe has been supplied by Plato's Closet and trust me I look good! Here are a few examples of amazing items I have gotten there. 
Coach Purse - $20
Nike sneakers (hot pink) - $18
Juicy Couture Blazer - $10
Gap winter coat - $25 !!!

2. Craigslist - Craigslist is a godsend for bigger items as long as you're comfortable with meeting strangers in the Publix parking lot. I found the majority of our furniture by using CL. I also sold our furniture on the site and used the money to fund new furniture. I ended up breaking even and having a greatly improved home. I have have bought household items, kids items, tvs, cell phones, antiques, vehicles, laptops, and more all on Craigslist. Instead of getting a $300 Acer laptop at Walmart I got a $1000 Dell laptop for $200. Here are a few more examples of great finds on CL. 
42" LG lcd tv - $150
Maltese puppy - $50 (these are usually upwards of a thousand dollars)
Martha Stewart sofa - $150
Amazingly beautiful handcrafted dresser - $200
6ftX6ft bounce house and pump - $75 !!!

3. Chamblain Book Mine (or your local used bookstore) - I'll never buy a book new again! Why would I ever do that when I know there is a book vault nearby that has the exact same thing for a fraction of the price? You may run a risk of them not having it but they'll have something great to tide you over while you wait. Being thrifty is all about being patient. Everything I need eventually presents itself with time. 

4. Once Upon a Child (kid's gently used items) - I will NEVER buy kid items with out checking the thrift store. They have everything; bibs, blankets, cribs, strollers, clothes, bottles, cups, silverware, nursery decor, Boppy's, shoes, hair bows, swings, bassinettes, toys, maternity wear, and probably a whole lot more. You don't tend to get the major discount you get with adult items but it's totally worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment